Re: [ft-l] Barking all night and such.

I think there is concern that excess hype could desensitize the public to the
real problem that forcasters grapple with with every storm.  That is they are
using statistics -poorly understood by most of us- to try to make an accurate
prediction that turns literally millions of lives upside down.  Look at the
history of Tsunamis in the Pacific and you will see the tragic results of
predictions that were not incorrect at the time, but resulted in 6 foot
waves.  When the real Big Wave came along the population had become
complacent and death and destruction resulted.
I am not connected to TV World (we watched Dr Doolittle at our shelter and
listened to a weather radio) but friends told me today that the weather
channel coverage was terrible(mostly Hype) while channel 2 which our school
system hooked up for hurricane coverage was much more balanced.  The news
media is of course first a money making entertainment institution, but its
second function of propaganda should be turned to convincing the public to
heed the forecasts even though the path of Floyd had a 100 mile wide margin
of error.
Glad to hear all are safe with little damage!
MaryB;-)