[ft-l] Max Patch to I40

I am hiking the section from Max Patch to Hot Springs next Thursday and
Friday.  I have never hiked this section before but I have pestered the
members of AT-L for lots of info.  The profile from Hot Springs to I40 near
Davenport Gap is very steep, (down for me, up for South bounders) though I
would think young men in good shape could do it in three days.  They need to
be in shape for hiking mountains though.  Runners and walkers do not use the
same muscles as those needed for climbing up trails.  According to my
sources, water should be no problem as they have had lots of rain in the last
few weeks.

I would be cautious of camping on any summit.  I have read reports of folks
getting "Maytaged" in their tents due to high wind.  I would be especially
cautious of camping at Max Patch summit because of the nearby road crossing,
even more so it were on a weekend.

All in all, I'll bet it will be a good hike.

Sam
aka  Hikewriter