Re: [ft-l] FT Hikes & Dogs

We're talking now aren't we.
As a responsible hiking dog partner, I don't think there should be a blanket
rule disallowing dogs just because not everyone likes them.  The activity
chair should be posting this for each activity based on appropriateness, not
their feelings about dogs.  Dogs are aware of who likes/dislikes them and of
fearfulness so I agree with you that group activities are not the place I go
with mine.  However, my dogs do not scare off the wildlife as they usually
alert me to it with their more keen senses.  Not all dogs are insecure and
barking at everything that moves.  A well trained, obedient dog is not a
problem.  People on both sides of issues, need to walk in the others shoes
for a while so that reasonable compromises can be set and each can appreciate
that other's opinions.
I've hiked with several dogs who are more respectful of the quiet and
peacefulness I crave than their owners.

Trailma, Lady, and Wishbone