Re: [ft-l] Chiggers

>2.  A surefire way to avoid attracting them in the first place

I've always tried to avoid them if possible.  In area's thick in grasses or
other vegetation I'll put on a pair of lightweight supplex pants.  IMHO, I
believe people typically pick up chiggers when they brush up against tall
grass.  The tight weave of the supplex also helps prevent them from getting
to my legs, but then again -- chiggers are so small they can probably get
thru if they want.

Sometime I also put on some "Gold Bond Medicated Body Powder" on my socks
and/or feet.  The active ingredients are methanol and zinc oxide.  I'm not
really sure, but I think the zinc oxide probably helps?

I'm personally against the use of DEET, but that's another subject.  DEET
should help keep chiggers off.

Happy Hiking,
Jeff Walters
Anywhere is walking distance, if you've got the time.
(Steven Wright)