Re: [ft-l] approximately 50 miles of trail near Eglin AFB

Folks,

Have you people been visiting another planet or what? We have been
reporting the status of the proposed FNST segment across Eglin Air Force
Base for the past several years.  The decision by the Air Force to allow
the trail to cross a portion of the base was a major breakthrough and came
after many years of effort by FTA.  A draft Environmental Assessment (EA)
of the trail route is expected to be approved shortly and then work on the
trail can begin.  The North Florida Conference to be hosted by the Western
Gate Chapter had to be postponed because of a delay in approval of the EA.
Hopefully, it can be rescheduled in the near future.  The conference will
focus on developing the first increment of this important FNST segment.  If
necessary we may even schedule an All Association Work Hike to help move
things along.  FTA will be responsible for building and maintaining the
trail.  It would be great if the military can help with the work, but we
can't count on their participation.

Look alive out there!

Fred Schiller
VP-Trails