[ft-l] I'm back in action...

Well, after about 3-4 days of working on Windows 98 -- most of it is working correctly.  Word of advice to everyone, don't bother until MS works all the problems out first.  I'm now ready for a hike!!!

To answer a previous question:  Where to find used gear?

(1) I would first try all of the local backpacking stores.  Some of them rent gear or sell old used gear.  You also get the experience of the salesmen.

(2) Another place to look into is the local Army-Navy surplus stores.  You can't find much for useful gear, but occasionally you can find some clothing that fits your budget.  I once bought a polyester jacket liner ($15) to be used under a fleece jacket; it works great.  The jacket liner also makes the best pillow that I have ever had.  I usually stuff it into a small stuff sack and wrap it with a clean shirt; stinky ones don't work <grin>.

(3) Another option is to search the internet for message forums relating to backpacking and hiking.  These forums give you the opportunity to communicate to people all over the US and the World!  Just watch out for scam artists. :<>

(4) Also, don't forget about our trusty old east coast friend Campmor.  Campmor brand goods are often much much cheaper (in cost only) than some of their major competitors (REI is often over priced).  In most cases the product is made by the same manufacture.  Campmor, REI or whoever only puts their logos on them.

(5) If your the creative type, try making your own gear!  It's the best way to save on cost, but plan on spending a lot of time on it.  There are many catalogs out there with dozens and dozens of patterns; clothing, backpacks, bivys, sacks, etc... Fabrics from Ripstop Nylon, Cordura, Sunbrella; Insulations such as Thinsulate, Primaloft; and whatever else you may need are available.

Well, I probably left something out, but that should be good to start some conversation <grin>.  I'm glad I got that out of my system.  Now I just need a hike.

Happy Trails,
Jeff Walters
Anywhere is walking distance, if you've got the time.
(Steven Wright)
Florida Backpacker's Trailplace
http://www.iag.net/~fbt/