[ft-l] Hiking boot's for FL trails

The prime time for backpacking is probably mid-October through mid-April - after the rainy season and before it gets too hot.

You can extend that season by making use of local swimming areas to cool off.  In the Ocala you have Clearwater Lake, Alexander Springs, Juniper Springs, Hidden Pond and (using a 3-mile side trail) Salt Springs.  There is a small day use fee charged at all except Hidden Pond, but it's well worth the money to cool down after a hot day of hiking.

You can also extend it by taking a siesta during the middle of the day.  Stop around noon in a nice shady spot for a long lunch break, hang the hammock and read or take a snooze for a couple of hours during the hottest part of the day.

Cricket
  Hi, when is a good time of the year to go backpacking in central Fl.  We've only been here since spring 03 and have not read many comments about backpacking in Fl.  We would like to stay in the central Fl. area for now.  We're near Ocala Nat'l. Forest.  Any suggestions?  Thanks, Chuck