[ft-l] Hiking boot's for FL trails

Hi, when is a good time of the year to go backpacking in central Fl.  We've only been here since spring 03 and have not read many comments about backpacking in Fl.  We would like to stay in the central Fl. area for now.  We're near Ocala Nat'l. Forest.  Any suggestions?  Thanks, Chuck
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Deb Blick
  To: ft-l@backcountry.net
  Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 10:37 PM
  Subject: Re: [ft-l] Hiking boot's for FL trails

  Many folks in Florida don't use boots at all.  I'd start with a good pair of
  walking shoes that you may already have or can use for other than hiking.
  Lots of long-distance hikers swear by New Balance because of their very
  stable foot bed. I've hiked and backpacked about 600 miles of the Florida
  Trail and 300 miles of the Appalachian Trail in New Balance 1121's.

  If you feel like you need a little more support than a walking shoe I'd look
  at the "approach" shoes.  They are cut at or below the ankles so are lighter
  weight than boots, but they are sturdier than the walking shoes.  I've done
  about 300 miles of the FT and 400 miles of the AT in these.

  I'd suggest you try one of these options before buying heavier and more
  expensive boots.

  Cricket