[ft-l] Where to go?

In a message dated 11/26/2003 9:52:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dblick@cfl.rr.com writes:

> I'm looking for a place to go on the FT for a 2-person backpacking trip
> between Christmas and New Years.  About 30-40 miles.

Deb,
I recommend Section 18, Suwannee River East going from East to West.  It is
28.2 miles from the Stephen Foster State Folk Culture Center in White Springs
to the Sheriff's Boys Ranch.  Safe parking is available at both places. Mostly
it follows the Suwannee River very closely.  There are beaches, ravines,
bridges, forest and several great campsites conveniently spaced.  If you want a
longer trip, continue on to the Hwy 249 bridge for another 5.2 miles.  You can
camp at Stephen Foster and set out in the a.m. after shuttling cars.  The first
day on the trail, relax & camp at a great swimming beach about 7 miles in.
Filter the water and you have instant tea.  At about mile 16, there is another
great campsite next to a gazebo looking out over the river.  Call me if you
have any questions.  Take your time and enjoy!!
-Fred Collins
Gainesville, FL
352-373-2823