[ft-l] Re: Getting Started

Hello All,

A year ago, my son did a weekend hike on the FT in preparation for an eighty
mile hike in the 237,000 acre Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.  Since then
he and I have talked a lot about a weekend hike on the FT with some of the
older scouts in our troop.  My son's hike began at River Ranch which is about
25 miles west of the turnpike on route 60 (A two and a half hour drive from
home).  Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginners hike for us close to
home.  And please tell me which chart to purchase.  From your suggestions I
can begin to narrow this down.  I am thinking that a good time for this hike
would be next fall.

I have been on this email list for a couple of months now and am really
enjoying all the trail reports and information.  Thanks for your replies.

JSteffey7@aol.com