[ft-l] New poll percentages

Hatter,
Don't worry about it. Internet polls are notoriously inaccurate ... I could
log on there and hit "NO" several hundred times, if I had the time or
inclination. Someone's obviously doing that with "YES." Better to send letters to the
editor at Backpacker to express your opinion: the one you posted earlier today
to the list would be quite appropriate.

I'm out on the trail all the time and have hiked single-track mountain biking
trails as well as hiking trails: only when they're posed okay for hiking; I
was turned away at Oleta River State Park in Miami by rangers who said "those
trails are for bikers only." Pity, given the lack of hiking in Miami. Like you,
I agree that USER GROUPS should be responsible for the building and
maintenance of their own trails. It's quite another thing if a governmental agency
(such as the forest rangers in State Forests) build, blaze, maintain trails: then
if they want them to be multiuse, so be it.

I was at a Cross Florida Greenway public forum a few weeks ago and was very
perturbed with the equestrians who thought it just fine to go trotting on the
section of the Florida Trail I maintain (despite the land manager pointing out
that they had their own trails), and in the next breath asking if prisoners
from the sheriff's work farm could come out and maintain the horse trails!
Amazing attitudes out there. I bike, too, but NOT on hiking-only trails.

Cheers, Sandy
author "50 Hikes...in Florida" series  ;-)