From: Parklines
To: Floyd & Linda Ayers
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 2:34 PM
Subject: Special Alert: Bush Administration Failing National Parks

 ADMINISTRATION EARNS D- ON NATIONAL PARKS

 NPCA today released a report card that highlights the Bush
administration's failure to protect our national parks. As a key park
advocate we need your help to stop the administration's actions that are
having a devastating effect on the parks.

 NPCA's detailed assessment illustrates the administration's pervasive
pattern of damaging national park policies over the past two and a half
years, including:

 a.. The decision to roll back the Clean Air Act, which threatens visitor
enjoyment of national parks as well as their health and harms the plants
and animals that live in these special places.

 b.. A top-down mandate to privatize up to 70 percent of all positions in
the already understaffed National Park Service which will undermine park
protection, the experience of park visitors, and efforts to diversify the
Park Service workforce.

 c.. A failure to fullfill the administration's promise to eliminate the
maintenance and construction backlog. In addition, the administration has
not yet adequately addressed insufficient park operating budgets, which
lead to the maintenance backlog and the failure to address insufficient
park operating budgets.

 d.. The use of the provision in the antiquated 1866 Mining Law, Revised
Statute 2477, to encourage county and state governments to claim everything
from wheelbarrow ruts and stream beds as roads and pave our national parks.

 The president and the Secretary of the Interior are charged with
protecting our National Park System. This administration has not met its
commitment and in fact has pushed through policies that threaten nearly
every facet of park protection.

 We need your voice, your passion, and your time. The only way to protect
our national parks is to work together to ensure that decisions made by
Congress and the administration protect our parks. Millions of Americans
cherish our national parks but they need your help. Only if you take action
will parks receive the protection needed so that future generations can
still enjoy hiking to the top of Mount Rainier, exploring the cliff
dwellings of Mesa Verde, and stepping back into history at Gettysburg.

 There are many ways you can help. Send a letter to your representative and
senators, letting them know that they cannot stand by and let our national
parks become irrevocably damaged.

 In addition, you can:

 Getting other people involved is critical. We have over 32,000 activists
but if everyone who received this email sent it to just 10 people we could
reach 320,000!

 We have drafted a sample letter to the editor on our letter to the editor
page that you can tailor and send to papers in your own area. This reaches
out to more members of your community and can help get the media involved
in covering the story and raise awareness with members of Congress and the
administration.

 You can bring the park protection message to your friends and community
members by organizing a get together, or utilizing an existing way folks
come together such as a Kiwanis or Rotary Club or church group, you can
share your concerns for and commitment to our national parks and at the
same time get them to write letters to decision-makers urging their
leadership to protect the parks.

 Your tax deductible donation will help us to continue the fight to protect
our national parks and you will receive our National Parks magazine that
will help bring the parks right to your door.

 Over the years, park advocates have been the key to protecting our
national parks and we need your help now more than ever. Thank you for your
dedication and commitment to our national parks.

 Visit us online at www.npca.org

Kent L. Wimmer, AICP
Florida National Scenic Trail Liaison
Florida Trail Association, Inc.