[ft-l] FT Trip Report and Question

Mark,

As a fellow Scouter, I usually hike or backpack any trail before I take out
my scouts, and take notes.  Ocala is great if there is not a hunting
season...you can camp just about anywhere.  It also depends on your group
size.  I usually limit the group size to 8: 2 to 3 adults and the rest
scouts.  A smaller group can fit in a lot of spots, plus the group can move
faster.

Since we live in South Brevard, we also backpack at Tosohatchee, Hal Scott,
Wekiva Springs, Bull Creek and Jonathon Dickenson.  I agree, just plain 'ol
camping can get boring.  Scouts enjoy the challenge.  I always have an
introductory backpack trip of about 5 miles round trip for newer scouts.
Prior to the trip, my older scouts bring in full packs, food, stoves, tents,
the works...and prodive good training from their peers.  The completion of
the trip really helps them figure out gear choices, weight, food to bring,
their personal capabilities...and gives them a good and fun taste of
backpacking as well as a sense of accomplishment.

By the way, the FTA maps are great.  They have a lot of information and are
generally very up-to-date.

Glad you had a good time.

Mike Otten
ASM Troop 734