[ft-l] Cold weather hiking questions

All the responses you have are good, thought I would tell you what I do.

In cold weather the only extra stuff I carry are: windstopper fleece gloves,
windstopper fleece ear warmer, lightweight fleece shirt and pants, full rain
suit (the new two layer gortex like stuff seems to be the lightest you can get
and still keep the rain out) and one pair of light weight long underware (which
up to now, I've only used at night).  The rain suit is for, in addition to rain,
to stop the wind in low temperatures.  My base layer is a long sleeve tee shirt
and light weight nylon pants.  I've found these layers to work down to 32
degress F with no problems.  If you get hot at 50 degress (some people do, but
not most Floridians), take off the rain suit and then the fleece shirt and pants.

I'll repeat Sandy's warning here - DON'T put your tent next to a fire.
Personally, I don't like hanging out the tent to cook food or cooking in the
vesitible, same problem as putting a tent next to a fire - too dangerous.
--
Paul J Guyon
pjguyon@att.net