[ft-l] President's Bush's new forest policy for logging and forest fires

Well it seems as though their major complaint is the fear that lumber
companies would _make money_ from reducing the fire load. Well heck, how
else would anyone pay for this? I think there are hundreds of millions of
acres that need to be worked on. I guess they would rather hire a few
hundred thousand new federal employees to do the thinning. What would they
do with the removed wood then? You can leave it behind since that is just
more fire load on the land. How would it be payed for: new taxes on lumber?

It seems to me that letting commercial companies thin these forests and put
people to work is the American way. The wood can go into homes and such and
we can stop buying some lumber from overseas. We get safer forests, fewer
uncontrolled blazes, put people to work, and Americans would get cheaper
lumber, a renewable resource. Assuming what I've seen at Deerhaven is close
to the model planned, then were are not talking about clear cutting or
anything like it. What is wrong with that?

I doubt that there is any major threat to wildlife, nothing like the threat
of being burned to death and reduced to ashes anyway. Just how many Spotted
Owls were creamated in that 500,000 acre fire in Oregon anyway. How many
salmon cooked in their creeks?  I'm just puzzled that people can ignore
these issues.

Bryan