[ft-l] FTA Web Site

I am surprised that someone has not come along and developed some templates
which once populated would generate a web site for any trail & hiking club.
We are talking about the same site items:  Trail Condition, FAQ, Help
Wanted, Fundraising, News, Schedule, Contact Info, Links, History, Store,
Officer Page(s), Director Page(s), Membership, Permitting, Photos, etc.
Each club could pick a set of colors, fonts and menu styles to make them
unique.  Then each club would have a set of protected admin forms they could
insert, edit or delete text, web links, images, etc.  Small clubs could have
their limited data stored in an Access mdb file.  Larger clubs could store
in an SQL Engine (MySQL, SQL Server, etc).  A shared server, with different
URLs would be able to better manage the costs of certificates, shopping
carts and credit card approvals.  This would permit the clubs to break-even
or better, offer membership services and many other functions they would
never be able to afford on their own.

Because clubs and trails are different, the database behind this would
require a good deal of requirements gathering and db design.  Trails and
clubs in the mountains are more concerned about elevation, slop, soil type,
huts and lodges then the FTA is.  But these are attributes of the key data.
Same with data about trail construction.  Up north they don't likely call it
a Suwannee Sling, and the heavy duty mowers aren't THE vital tool.  Once
again, these items would just be records in the "tool" field.  Not much
would be insurmountable.

Clubs could then focus on building trail, and getting the word out.  Some
trail club web-sites look like thirty minutes of typos.  Others are quite
nice.  Why oh why don't these non-profits put there heads together with
something they obviously all want.  Besides which club will be able to
afford to keep up that bar that keeps going up?  When will the FTA-only site
be able to push trail reports based on the long-lat of the cell phone
clicking to check.  Designed properly every club could have it.  What about
accepting web form input from a hiker on-trail and based on a key-word
search, determine if the message board posting should also be forwarded to a
Section Leader, Chapter Chair or other officer?

As the capabilities of internet sites increase, so do the opportunities not
yet envisioned.

Mark Nickerson

PS, I commiserate with the web volunteers.  I've been their, done that.
People don't thank the guys who do things for free.  I never had a scout
troop write me to tell me how nice the trail they hiked was.  Be proud of
your accomplishments and what it did for the cause, isn't why you did it?