[ft-l] Scout Trip

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Nickerson" <mark@nickpvb.com>
To: <ft-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 12:41 AM
Subject: [ft-l] Scout Trip

> I asked this question this past February.  We decided then to take the
troop
> on the Juniper Springs canoe run instead of backpacking, it was great fun!
>
> I'd like to take a St. Johns County (FL) Boy Scout troop to the Ocala
> National Forest the weekend of January 18 - 20, 2003.
>
> Some questions:
>
> Do you recommend the Alexander Springs area or the Juniper Springs area?

Either will work-- Juniper Wilderness is more primitive with more
restrictions on use; Alexander is more developed and accessable.  Be sure to
check with the District Ranger office about your plans.

> What condition are the boardwalks between Clearwater Lake and Alexander
> Springs in?

Good.  Last season we put down wire mesh to relieve the sometimes slippery
conditions,  and have just completed, with the SCA workers, some major
repairs.

> Is an FTA Trail builder available, interested in joining us for dinner and
> campfire, and tell the scouts about the Florida Trail?

This can surely be arranged depending on schedules, camp location, and a
marshmellow or two.  Keep in touch.

     Regards,
     Francis Keenan
     Leesburg, Fl.