[ft-l] The FNST needs your help today

Hello FTA members,

At the request of Deborah Stewart-Kent, FTA's President, I am sending you
this email asking for your help.   We need you to call, FAX and/or email
Senators Graham and Nelson this week to support funding for the Florida
National Scenic Trail.   The Interior Appropriations Conference Committee,
which is made of Congressmen from the House of Representatives and the
Senate, will be meeting next week to negotiate the funding bill that
includes the FNST.  Going into the Conference Committee, the House has in
its budget $4 million for FNST land acquisition and $500,000 for FNST
construction while the Senate does not have any funding in its budget for
the FNST.  In short, we have good support from House Appropriations. What
we need is strong Senate support.  We need Senator Graham and Senator
Nelson to tell the Conference Committee that funding for FNST land
acquisition and trail construction is one of their highest priorities. The
message is that we would like for you to express to Senators Graham and
Nelson, or their staff, is:

"The FNST needs the support of the Senator this week.  Please ask the
Senator to contact the Interior Appropriations Conferees and tell them that
funding for Florida National Scenic Trail land acquisition and construction
is one of their highest priorities.  With the Senator's active support, we
will be able to bring these funds home to Florida, and be able to continue
to protect and expand the Florida National Scenic Trail.  Without
continuation funding, it will be a major setback for Florida's Trail and
the thousands of volunteers who have built and maintained the trail over
the last 35 years."

Senator Bob Graham's Washington telephone number is 202-224-3041; his FAX
is 202-224-2237; and his email address is bob_graham@graham.senate.gov.

Senator Bill Nelson's Washington telephone number is 202-224-5274; his FAX
is 202-228-2183; and his email address is senator@billnelson.senate.gov.

Please telephone, FAX and/or email Senators Graham and Nelson this week.
The Conference Committee is meeting next week so we need your help and that
of the Senators now.

Please contact me if you have any questions.  Please let me know when you
have contacted them and what they say, if anything (please copy me if you
send an email). If the Senator or his staff have detailed questions, please
feel free to refer them to me at: Kent Wimmer at  850-942-9376 or
kwimmer@fs.fed.us or Deborah Stewart-Kent at 904-384-5438 or
bearpaws1@juno.com.

Thank you very much for your help in protecting the FNST.

Deborah Stewart-Kent, President of Florida Trail Association
Kent Wimmer, Florida National Scenic Trail Liaison

Kent L. Wimmer, AICP
Florida National Scenic Trail Liaison
Florida Trail Association, Inc.
kwimmer@fs.fed.us