[ft-l] Biographical sketch

In a message dated 11/27/2001 8:25:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
TOKTAADN@aol.com writes:

> ...appropriate for each subscriber to post a little biographical sketch .
> Since it is the start of the hiking season here in Florida maybe we could
> all take a moment to do that now.

Well, I'm not much good at drawing, but I'll give my sketch a go.

My name is Teresa.  I'm 30 years old.  I live in Bonita Springs which is
tucked between Naples and Ft. Myers on the SW Coast.  Like much of Florida,
this area is growing like mad, and honestly, I don't much care for it.  I'll
deal with it for now and if it bothers me too much, I can move.

I joined FTA about 3 years ago, and haven't been to an official function yet.
 I was having this discussion with a fellow ft-l'er and it seems I'm not the
only one in this situation.  For a while I blamed it on the nearest chapter
being several hours away, but with a sub-chapter being formed right around
here, the blame is all on me!  I'll get there sooner or later.  I promise.

My passion for the last 5 years and most of my life really has been softball.
 I love to play, and play in tournaments around the state a couple weekends a
month from February to October, and occasionally out of state for National
Tournaments.  I had the pleasure of meeting Rich and Sandy (Solar Bear and
Navigator) last year when I was in Altamonte Springs playing.  That was a
wonderful treat!

Lately, I've been getting out more.  I took a trip to Springer Mtn in Ga in
August, camped right on the top.  Earlier this month I took my first
backpacking trip:  20+ miles and 3 nights on the AT.  It was unbelievable!  I
cannot describe what it meant to me.  It was everything I thought it would be
and so much more!  I can say I truly love being outdoors.  That trip inspired
me to do my recent dayhike at Collier-Seminole State Park.  I need to do that
more.  That's where I'm happiest.  My main hindrance is lack of motivation.
I sometimes need encouraging to get out there!  I'm working on that too.

I don't have a trail name... well, a few have drifted by occasionally:  Dust
Devil (by Solar Bear because I asked one more question after he said "If you
ask one more question, your name is Dust!") and Gator Girl (because I'm a UF
grad and bigtime fan).  I'm still searching for the "real" trail name.  It'll
come along unexpectedly, I'm sure of that!  I like to joke around a lot, so
I'm sure I'll say or do something silly and the right person will be around
to label it!

I found out about this list, and about the Florida Trail, by researching the
AT.  Go figure!  I've lived here since I was 5 and never knew about it until
recently.  Now, I'm determined to see much more of the FT...and hopefully one
day hike the whole thing!  I lurked on ft-l several years ago, but
unsubscribed for some reason that I don't recall now.  After the AT trip, I'm
back on and trying hard to NOT lurk anymore.  Rich is right; there is a
tremendous amount of information in our collective heads, we just need to ask
the questions and allow the conversation to follow.

I would like to learn more about the rest of you too.  I have family in Ft.
Lauderdale and Pensacola, so when I'm in the area, I wouldn't mind putting a
face to a name.  And if you're in my area, you can look me up too.

I've taken up enough of your time now.  I hope the sketch is clear enough.
If it's not, well, I guess you'll just have to ask me about it then.

Happy trails always,
Teresa

multipart/alternative
  text/html