[ft-l] Pine Bark Beetle

What I understand is in addition to cutting down the infested trees, they
also cut down healthy trees in advance of the beetles so to create a break
through which they hope will contain or at least slow the spread of the
beetles.

Kent

Kent L. Wimmer, AICP
Florida National Scenic Trail Liaison
Florida Trail Association, Inc.
kwimmer@fs.fed.us
(850) 942-9376 (w)
(850) 942-9378 (fax)
(850) 386-8442 (h)
Mailing address:
USDA Forest Service
National Forests in Florida
325 John Knox Rd, F-100
Tallahassee, FL 32303-4160

                    Bluetrail@aol.com
                    Sent by:                        To:     <ft-l@backcountry.net>
                    ft-l-admin@mailman.backc        cc:
                    ountry.net                      Subject:     [ft-l] Pine Bark Beetle

                    11/01/2001 04:06 PM
                    Please respond to ft-l

In the last couple of weeks some sections of the FT in the Little Big Econ
State Forest outside Oviedo have been closed for a day or two at a time
while the forest service fells trees infected with pine bark beetle.

What I found a little strange is that the cut up logs just lie on the
ground for days after they are cut.  Can someone tell me what the
method/procedure is for erradicating pine bark beetles?

It makes me sad to see so many trees downed, but I'm sure new growth with
more sunlight will provide good feed for some critter.

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com