[ft-l] Pine Bark Beetle

In the last couple of weeks some sections of the FT in the Little Big Econ State Forest outside Oviedo have been closed for a day or two at a time while the forest service fells trees infected with pine bark beetle.

What I found a little strange is that the cut up logs just lie on the ground for days after they are cut.  Can someone tell me what the method/procedure is for erradicating pine bark beetles?

It makes me sad to see so many trees downed, but I'm sure new growth with more sunlight will provide good feed for some critter.

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com