[ft-l] Orlando Wetlands Park

I was out in Seminole Ranch and Orlando Wetlands park today doing Trail
Inventory.  I stashed my bike at the western end of OWP where it joins
Wheeler Rd, then hiked around the northern half of Seminole Ranch (from F&W
trailer) and across the top of OWP back to my bike.  I then rode the bike
back to my car along the dike on the southern side of OWP.  What a fantastic
ride!  If it hadn't been for the storm front coming in I could have spent
the rest of the afternoon riding around on the levees in there.  Not another
person out there.  I saw I don't know how many water birds - lots of herons
of all varieties - alligators and turtles.  My wildlife encounters during
that 1/2 hour ride:

A small raccoon "playing with" a large tortoise.  When I stopped about 15
feet away, the raccoon didn't pay any attention to me, just kept on tugging
at the tortoise.  I finally spoke to it so it looked at me (for a nice
photo).  After another minute or two I got off the bike to check out the
tortoise and the raccoon backed off into the brush - I could just see it's
eyes peering out at me.  On closer look, the tortoise was recently dead, the
raccoon was eating it's neck.  Don't know if the raccoon killed it or not.

A scarlet king snake crossed the dike in front of me.

Gator and fish drama.  Spottted a small (6 foot or so) gator near the shore,
in a clear area of water.  A fish rolled near the surface of the water not
far to the left of the gator.  The gator slowly, slowly turned to face the
ripples.  The fish rolled on the other side of the gator.  The gator slowly,
slowly turned to face the new ripples.  The fish rolled on the gator's
quarter.  The gator turned again.  The fish rolled again, in another spot.
This went on for about 20 minutes!  I had to leave before the end of the
drama, but it looked to me like the fish was teasing that poor old gator.

A small black bear went crashing into the brush as I turned another corner -
not more than 50 feet in front of me.  I'm amassing a great collection of
"Bear Butt" photos.

A fawn, still spotted, up on the dike that I saw as I came around a corner.
I stopped about 50 feet away.  It was curious, I think, about what I was,
being on the bike.  It approached to within about 20 feet before deciding it
had seen enough and bounced off into the trees.

So, get yourself out to Orlando Wetlands Park if you want a great
opportunity to see wildlife.  During the week is best, but there aren't too
many people out there on the weekends either.  And don't forget the camera.

Deb