[ft-l] The Big 360: Green Swamp West (Part 1)

Sandy (and List),

This reminds me of a trip thru Rice Creek where Rich got a little
dehydrated.  I have some opinions on the water issue that I'd like to share
with the list.  I'm no expert.  Personally, I believe there's some confusion
out there on consuming water.  Who ever came up with 8 glasses a day anyway?

Of course you have to consume it, and lots of it!  But, I believe you need
to "help your body retain" a good percentage of the water you drink.  Just
passing the water through your system doesn't help hydrate you much.
Passing water through your body does help cleans your system, but absorbing
the water into your system is what's important.

I like to use a light mix of Gatorade powder mixed in with my water to help
my body absorb more of the water that I drink.  The effects of the hot
Florida sun can dehydrate your body so quickly that I believe anyone could
use a little help absorbing the water.  If you plan on hiking in the heat,
carry a couple of salt /electrolyte tablets.  Plan on using them as soon as
you start to feel dazed or confused.  A little salty beef jerky will also do
the trick, as well as some soup mixes, etc.

Personally, I've been there.  The first big hike I ever did was a solo North
to South Ocala National Forest hike in June with a 45+ pound pack.  BIG
MISTAKE!  When I got to Hopkins Prairie (N-S) it was late in the afternoon.
I had no idea what was in store for me.  I had to take several breaks and
retreat into the pine woods to get out of the direct sun.  By the time I got
to the Hopkins Prairies campground, I was well on my way to heat exhaustion.
Luckily I was able to spend the next day just resting and relaxing at the
campground.

I still can't believe I carried 45+ pounds of gear! LOL
Jeff Walters
(Prairie Dog)