[ft-l] The Big 360 Hike - Update

Concerning "Tractor" signs and concrete brontosaurus butts:

See below.

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 TOKTAADN@aol.com wrote:

>  We spy a sign that says "tractor," but follow the arrow into the
> bushes and find nothing.

The Suncoast Chapter (which maintains this trail in Richloam) has a tractor
drawn mower which is too big to cross some of the foot bridges in this
area. The "Tractor" sign indicates where the tractor operator can use a
road or other trail to by-pass the foot bridge.

> We like exploring by car the areas we hike through because much is the "old
> Florida" we miss here in the city.  The sights are often humorous, profound,
> and sometimes just inexplicable.  Into the latter category I would place the
> fifty foot long hollow concrete brontosaurus butt.  Yes, I repeat,
> brontosaurus butt, right there along side the road not far from a mobile home
> in a residential setting.  It was just a couple miles from Floral City.

Many years ago, there was a resident who was enamored with dinosaurs. He
constructed many dinosaur statues in the woods along SR-476 between
Nobleton and US-41. He eventually died and over the years, all the statues
except for the partially completed brontosaurus have been removed or grown
over. A feature section reporter for the St. Petersburg Times newspaper did
a story about the old man and his creations. The story appeared quite a few
years ago, but someone in the newspaper morgue at the St. Pete Times may
still remember it.

- Carl