[ft-l] Offbeat hikes in Lake County

This reminds me of the Devil's Millhopper near Gainesville. There's a
wooden stairway that goes down into the sink, and a half-mile trail around
the rim. The stairs are a pretty good climb-- 221 steps.

http://www8.myflorida.com/communities/learn/stateparks/district2/devilsmillhopper/index.html

At 08:47 AM 7/16/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>The first one was on the edge of Eustis, in Hidden Waters Preserve. The
>trail has a mean slope to it -- drops more than 100 feet, then climbs back
>up again, only to drop down even more sharply the second time. But
>wait...BIG hills? In Florida? Sparkling water bouncing down a hillside?
>Not quite a waterfall, but lush with ferns and definitely flowing
>downhill. All thanks to a HUGE sinkhole in which the trails lie. The
>fern-lined stream is one of the prettier places I've seen around here, and
>it had a nice brisk flow to the crystal-clear water. The trail is only a
>mile long, but very interesting.

Erskine Fincher
fincher2@nettally.com