[ft-l] Starkey Wilderness Park

The trail in Starkey Wilderness Park is not a one of FTA's trails (a
component of the Florida Trail System).  They probably used orange paint
since orange has become the standard color for all hiking trails in the
state as so recommended in the DEP adopted the Statewide Greenways and
Trails Plan in 1998.

Kent

Kent L. Wimmer, AICP
Florida National Scenic Trail Liaison
Florida Trail Association, Inc.
kwimmer@fs.fed.us
(850) 942-9376 (w)
(850) 942-9378 (fax)
(850) 386-8442 (h)
Mailing address:
USDA Forest Service
National Forests in Florida
325 John Knox Rd, F-100
Tallahassee, FL 32303-4160

                    FTCracker@aol.com
                    Sent by:                        To:     <ft-l@backcountry.net>
                    ft-l-admin@mailman.backc        cc:
                    ountry.net                      Subject:     [ft-l] Starkey Wilderness Park

                    11/29/2001 04:59 PM
                    Please respond to ft-l

Has anyone hiked at Starkey Wilderness Park? I called Pasco County parks
and they said the park contains a 13.5 mile orange-blazed trail.  I know
there is no FTA loop map for it, but I am wondering if the orange blazes
signify FTA maintenance.

I have the map from the SWFWMD website, and they claim 30+ miles of hiking
trails. Just wondering who is right...we'll be hiking it either way.

Cheers, Sandy