[ft-l] Re: Fl trail during hunting season

All:

I'm posting this to the list, thinking others might enjoy my conversation
with Sara.  We're talking about the dangers of hiking with
hunters.......Sara asked for more details about an experience I shared with
her off the list........(thread starts at the bottom)......

I should say, Sara, that we were hiking during the very last weekend of the
hunting season, (mid Feb) and that tends to bring out the worst ones.

BUT I resist the stereotypical notions of all hunters as fat dumb rednecks
swilling cold bear and shooting at shadows.  That's not the way I was raised
to hunt.  The ones we encountered were not drinking that I could tell, but
then we were trying to get away from them quickly and quietly.  The
situations were that they didn't expect to see us and we didn't expect to
see them.  They spooked us and we spooked them, I guess.  The hunt camps are
not the best places to camp, for sure, but they are usually pretty well
patrolled by authorities, and most of them have potable water pumps.

It's important to good relations with the hunters that you not purposely
make noise that might scare away the game they're seeking.  They tend to
associate hikers with the militant Sierra Clubbers (which I am absolutely
not one of).  Most of them probably respect the hikers activity, even if
they don't quite understand the attraction.

We did walk into the middle of a hippie fest at Buck Lake in the ONF
though.  The rainbow people had taken over, most all of them stoned, some up
into the trees making bird noises.  a surreal experience-- wish I had a
picture.  dog tired, and looking for the potable water pump at Buck Lake, we
stumbled into the campground about 9 pm to find a 6 ft tall flashing peace
symbol made of rebar and christmas lights (powered by a generator) atop a
converted bus.  the place was crowded, but the stoned teenager kindly led us
to the pump and we took on water and got the heck out of there.

obviously, you're safest in the woods and away from people.  that sounds
backwards to most folks but it's true.  I guess I'm not sure about a woman
walking alone in the woods.  More power to you I guess

Chris