[ft-l] Cent. FL FTA New Years Bash

Friends,

Are you aware of the Annual NY Bash in the Ocala, sponsored by the Cent. FL
Chapter, FTA, and organized by that paragon of FTA-dom, Racheal Augspurg (and
her faithful sidekick, Lou)?

Held at the quite-pleasant Doe Lake Campground in the SW corner of the Ocala
(to narrow it down, it's some 12 mi. W. of Altoona, off of Hwy 42). The camp
is quietly beautiful, and the sun sets over the near-by pond (no idea it said
pond is presently w/water)!  We have the camp to ourselves, w/the usual group
tent camping.  There's a nice timbered main bldg. w/fireplace; the kitchen
has cold storage, ice machine, microwave oven but no cook stove. The
restrooms are first-rate, heated, have hot showers and are kept immaculately
clean.

Now, for the agenda: This year the event will run from Sat., 30 Dec. to Tue.
2 Jan.
Everything is low-key; there is one incredibly exciting event, which is the
Countdown to 2001, whereby a boat cushion is lowered to mark the time; we
then adjourn to the main bldg. for traditional black-eyed peas. Otherwise, we
just have fun.

Sat. nite there'll be stone soup; bring bread, dessert or vegetables
fresh/frozen/canned to add to the pot).  That evening's program (so far)
consists of Jon Phipps showing his AT slides; Jon has almost 10,000 mi. and
will also show his ultra-lite gear to those interested.

Sun. Nite - Pot Luck Dinner; bring a dish to share.  We'll have a singer, we
think, not quite sure, or you show up with your best rap!

Mon. Nite - Pot Luck Leftovers

Other meals: On your own; everyone has use of the kitchen.

Activities:

Sat.: PM Bike Ride.

Sun.: AM Hike PM Map & Compass Workshop plus Bike or hike.

Mon.: AM Canoe Silver River or hike.  Eve - Program & campfire

Cost: $4 per person/per night (under age 16 and over 75 camp free).

For details and a map, contact Rachael at (352) 669-2898 or
lourayfl@hotmail.com

Now, feel free to offer a program of your own.  Anyone who has a telescope,
please bring it.  There'll also be the ever-popular Bocce Ball (come to find
out what that is and how to play this increasingly popular game which can be
played with a beverage in one hand).

This posting courtesy of Jon Phipps, who hopes to see you at Lake Doe, and
wishes you Happy Trails in the N. Yr.