[ft-l] St Marks trip

I rode down to St Marks today with my nephew and my daughter. She's just 4,
but he's 21. We took along our cameras and shot up a lot of film. He has a
nice camera with a good zoom lens. I wanted him to get some good close up
shots of alligators, so we walked out along the levy by Mounds Pool #2. We
found a few gators, but got kinda spooked when one very large one dove into
the water like he was headed towards us. I started wondering why I had
brought my daughter out there, and how fast I could run with her over my
shoulder. We stood around for a few excited moments watching the weeds on
our side of the canal and getting ready to run. After a few minutes when
nothing happened we got up enough courage to walk a little further. We
found another good sized one, shot up the rest of our film and then scooted
back to the van.

On the way back, I got my daughter to recite _The Crocodile_ by Lewis
Carroll with me:

How doth the little crocodile
Improve his shining tail
And pour the waters of the Nile
On every golden scale!

How cheerfully he seems to grin!
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcomes little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws.

My nephew was non-appreciative, but then, he's the same guy I used to tease
about using him for alligator bait while fishing on Lake Talquin when he
was 8 yrs old. (I don't think he would have taken the teasing as seriously
if he hadn't been able to see three alligators swimming within a few
hundred yards of the boat.) ;)

All in all, a nice trip with a good shot of adrenalin to spice it up. When
he gets his film developed he's going to scan some pics in for me. If
anyone's interested I could post them on my website.

Erskine Fincher
fincher2@nettally.com