[ft-l] Status - The Big Loop Hike

Length of hike - 369.2 miles

Starting point - Clearwater Lake - Ocala National Forest

Direction - Southbound

Segment hiked Saturday - Black Hammock Trailhead to Chuluota

Length of Segment - 9.9 miles

Cumulative miles hiked - 48.4 miles

Miles to go - 320.8 miles

Comments:  Sandy and I resumed our hike after a week at the beach.  The
temperatures were much milder on Saturday and this trail segment was easy to
follow and freshly maintained -- Thanks FTA work crew!  The trail along the
Econlockhatchee River is one of my favorites in Central Florida.  Since we
don't hike usually at this time of year, we have been impressed with the
variety of wildflowers along the trail.  Sandy has been documenting it all on
slide film.  Maybe a topic for a future meeting.

The next segment is a roadwalk, but we've come to expect little surprises
that make each segment a joy to hike.  One of the secrets to enjoying
trekking of this nature is to abandon preconceptions.

Happy trails,

Rich Evans
Orlando

To:            ft-l@backcountry.net