Re: [ft-l] New maps

Hello Rich and FT-L,

I think we owe it to our section leaders and trail builders who put the
time into building the real hiking trails to distinguish the difference
between the real FT segments and road walks.  I recommend we use a
different color, maybe gray, for the road walks, even those that are
blazed.  People should be able to look at the map without reading the
description and immediately see where the good places to hire are - orange
FNST being the best, yellow FT being good (generally on private timber or
ranch land or loop trails) and grey being just connecting roadwalks.  Plus
having multiple colors allows us to use the maps when we meet with public
officials to help show them where we have gaps in the trail and this is
where we need their help to complete the trail.  Thanks for all your
comments.  I am sure with good input like yours the next maps will be
better and more useable.  Thanks.

Kent L. Wimmer, AICP
Florida National Scenic Trail Liaison
Florida Trail Association, Inc.
kwimmer@fs.fed.us
(850) 942-9376 (w)
(850) 942-9305 (fax)
(850) 386-8442 (h)
Mailing address:
USDA Forest Service
National Forests in Florida
325 John Knox Rd, F-100
Tallahassee, FL 32303-4160

                    TOKTAADN@aol.com
                    Sent by:                To:     ft-l@backcountry.net
                    owner-ft-l@backc        cc:
                    ountry.net              Subject:     Re: [ft-l] New maps

                    08/18/2000 04:54
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to ft-l

In a message dated 8/18/00 3:51:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
D_Blick@email.msn.com writes:

> Since this is the case with the "un-highlighted" routes and since Joan
now
>  reports that almost all the road walks are blazed now or in the process
of
>  being blazed, would it not be advantageous and less confusing to people
if
>  the entire non-FNST route were highlighted in yellow?  Even if a section
>  weren't properly blazed, it might be easier for people to use. What do
you
>  think?

Let me go a step further.  To what purpose is it to the hiker using the
maps
and planning a hike whether the Trail is FT or FNST?  I'd rather see the
entire thru-trail highlighted on the maps in orange, the side and loop
trails
in yellow or other colors.  The narrative on the back of the maps can alert

the user to where the Trail begins and ends its various statuses as FNST,
FT,
or unblazed.  I like the continuity that a single highlight color offers
for
the thru-trail.

Thanks for the forum.

Rich Evans