Re: [ft-l] New maps

Hello FT-L,

With this set of maps (including Map 25) we tried to provide through hikers
with road walk routes where there is no trail to walk.  That road walk
route is marked on the map with a dashed line with no color highlight.  We
have only marked roadwalks with a color if the section leader actually has
blazed the route (usually on utility poles along the road).  Otherwise the
route is just marked on the map.  As Deb Blick responded, the orange
highlight signifies officially certified segments of the Florida National
Scenic Trail.  All other marked sections of the Florida Trail that are not
certified as FNST are highlighted with a yellow line (including some
roadwalks that section leaders have blazed).

As far as the maps usability, that goes back to the decision the FTA Map
and Guidebook Committee made five years ago to produce them at 1:100,000
scale.  This was a compromise to allow the maps to be more affordable since
not as many would not have to be produced and purchased to have a complete
set of the trail from end to end.  Deb and I appreciate your comments and
suggestions, and we will try to make future versions more useable.  This is
our first attempt at maps for the complete trail and in this computerized
format.

Kent L. Wimmer, AICP
Florida National Scenic Trail Liaison
Florida Trail Association, Inc.
kwimmer@fs.fed.us
(850) 942-9376 (w)
(850) 942-9305 (fax)
(850) 386-8442 (h)
Mailing address:
USDA Forest Service
National Forests in Florida
325 John Knox Rd, F-100
Tallahassee, FL 32303-4160

                    TOKTAADN@aol.com
                    Sent by:                To:     ft-l@backcountry.net
                    owner-ft-l@backc        cc:
                    ountry.net              Subject:     Re: [ft-l] New maps

                    08/18/2000 11:48
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to ft-l

In a message dated 8/18/00 9:09:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
D_Blick@email.msn.com writes:

> Don't know what "not at all sometimes" means.  What maps don't have a
>  colored line behind the trail?

Map 25 is a perfect example.  There are 10 circled numbers referenced to
narrative and mileages on the back of the map, but the FT itself is not
highlighted at all to the referenced numbers.  To someone planning a long
hike and hoping for consistency throughout the set of maps, it is
confusing.

Also, I don't understand why the map legend isn't included with each order
of
maps.  Without it, the hiker is confused.  If you need to charge more for
the
maps to recoup the cost, do it, but charging extra for a map legend is
silly.

Now, on a more upbeat note, I calculated last night that the "big loop"
hike
through Central Florida is 369.2 miles long.  By big loop, I mean hiking
all
of Central Florida on the old thru trail southbound down to SR 523 in the
Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area, then cutting over to the Western
trail
corridor and back around to the Ocala National Forest by way of the
Greenway
that used to be the barge canal.  Despite about a hundred miles of
roadwalk,
Navigator and I have it in our heads to hike this over the next 6 months or

so on dayhikes and weekend backpack trips.  If any of you would like to
join
us for any parts of this adventure, please let us know.  Better hurry.  We
only have 358 miles to go!  :)

Rich Evans
Orlando