Re: [ft-l] New maps

In a message dated 8/18/00 9:09:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
D_Blick@email.msn.com writes:

> Don't know what "not at all sometimes" means.  What maps don't have a
>  colored line behind the trail?

Map 25 is a perfect example.  There are 10 circled numbers referenced to
narrative and mileages on the back of the map, but the FT itself is not
highlighted at all to the referenced numbers.  To someone planning a long
hike and hoping for consistency throughout the set of maps, it is confusing.

Also, I don't understand why the map legend isn't included with each order of
maps.  Without it, the hiker is confused.  If you need to charge more for the
maps to recoup the cost, do it, but charging extra for a map legend is silly.

Now, on a more upbeat note, I calculated last night that the "big loop" hike
through Central Florida is 369.2 miles long.  By big loop, I mean hiking all
of Central Florida on the old thru trail southbound down to SR 523 in the
Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area, then cutting over to the Western trail
corridor and back around to the Ocala National Forest by way of the Greenway
that used to be the barge canal.  Despite about a hundred miles of roadwalk,
Navigator and I have it in our heads to hike this over the next 6 months or
so on dayhikes and weekend backpack trips.  If any of you would like to join
us for any parts of this adventure, please let us know.  Better hurry.  We
only have 358 miles to go!  :)

Rich Evans
Orlando

To:            ft-l@backcountry.net