Re: [ft-l] An idea for the FT (long)

In a message dated 7/31/00 3:28:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
SunnyP@compuserve.com writes:

> Probably we should do the "Florida Trail System"  this would include loop
>  trails, otherwise some chapter would be left out entirely.

But remember the concept -- it is to link a group of hikers from one end of
the trail to the other symbolically by handshakes.  Loop trails don't link,
so the symbolism would lose some of its appeal.

In my opinion, this should link the "thru part" of the Florida Trail --
including road walks for missing sections.  It will allow all participants to
reflect on the Florida Trail as a continuous trail which hopefully will add
some new impetus for its completion and give it some publicity as a venue for
long distance hikes.

Someone more creative than I might think of a complementary event that would
be appropriate for the remaining trails within the Florida Trail System.

And just a tip of the hat to Deb Blick for suggesting this and to Richard
Mann for the original idea for Hands Across the Trail 2000 which will occur
on Labor Day weekend on the Appalachian Trail.  One might note that it was a
private initiative and did not have to deal with the workings of any
organizational bureaucracy, except to request some publicity.  I personally
would prefer for this effort to be organized apart from the FTA but with its
blessings.  The time lag could be rectified by resorting to a special
mailing.  Perhaps a sponsor could be found to cover the cost.  This shouldn't
wait until 2002.

Happy trails,

Rich Evans
Orlando