[ft-l] An idea for the FT

Some of you may have heard about, or ever be participating in, HATT.
 http://friends.backcountry.net/hatt/ for more info). Basically it's an
attempt over Labor Day weekend this year to hike the entire route of the AT.
The AT was broken up into 70 small 25-35 mile chunks and people signed up
via the internet to hike different sections.  It seems to have taken hold
and will be a success.

Well, I was thinking that a similar activity on the FT might be kind of fun
and great publicity for the Trail, FTA and FL hiking in general.
Newspapers, the public and our own members seem to get fired up by big
things - opening a new section of trail, building a bridge, etc. - and this
could certainly be big.

We could look at maybe Presidents Day weekend in January since many people
have a 3-day holiday then, the weather is generally good for hiking, and in
most areas general gun hunting is over.  Maybe plan it for 2002 to give
enough time for max publicity.  Divide the FT/FNST up into around 20 mile
chunks, depending on terrain and road crossings.  Maybe include both loop
trails and the thru trail.  Get a patch or Tee shirt or bandana made for
participants.  Set up a website to post photos and journals from each hike.
Etc, etc, etc.

What do you think??????

Cricket