[ft-l] Joan "Igloo" Hobson - Section 24 - 3/22 to 3/25

Florida Trail Journal - Section 24
Apalachicola West

Beginning: Porter Lake Bridge, FR 13

End: CR 12

Total Mileage: 36.9 Miles

Conditions: Inconsistent blazing. On and off clay roads, in and out of pine
forests. Some swampland. A remote area but forest roads are well maintained.
Some occasional traffic at road crossings. Note: This section is essentially
the end of the continuous Florida Trail. The sections that follow rely
heavily on road walks to connect. Included will be the connectors: the Pine
Log section and the Florida Gulf Coast section through Pensacola and the
beaches, then to connect to a blue blazed trail will extend to the Alabama
state line.

----

Wednesday March 22, 2000

Not in much of a hurry today. Have a couple of things to repair. One of my
partners lost a clevis pin and had to find a larger one to put things back
together. I've opted for dry sox, water proof sox and wet boots. I don't
think we'll hit water 'till after lunch. Nice mowed trail and pleasant
walking in Forest Roads. That was a charge. I put on my wet sox as lunch and
we walked out of the mowed, dry areas into wet areas where there were
palmettos, gull berry bushes and grasses. The afternoon proved very
challenging with the unmowed areas, wet and muddy slues, burned bridges and
burned forest (as in look for blazes and a path). Finally, quit about 5:30
PM looking forward to more road walks and swamp tomorrow, but the milages
should be less. Still no animals, but add blue berries and a tiny star
shaped lavender flower.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, April 17, 2000.

----

Thursday March 23, 2000

We again this AM and I've had my coffee. I'm out of water. We're back
walking at 7:30AM and headed for the trusted and "knarly" trees which signal
another swamp. Oh yes! This one is like all the others, but a little deeper
and has a flow. We've decided to stop this time and fill all our water
bottles. This day will provide at least 5 to 6 more such swampy areas.
Several burned tree areas with blazes gone and a very faint trail. Needless
to say we did some "scouting" now and then to find our way. All this in the
first 5 miles. We travel sometimes on woods roads and cross several sand
roads. We dried gear and lunched on one of the woods roads and dried our
gear. This woods road is flagged but we can see some blazes off to our right
which are very faded. We take our chances with the "road". Finally a blazed
tree and off again into a swamp. This one is longer than the rest and just
when we think we're coming out another swamp with the infamous "stobs". On
thru another long swampy area, mud and finally up onto another burned area.
The rest of the day is spent on abandoned roads, some sand roads and thru
burned forest areas. The last sand road leads to Memery Loop and the last 3
miles to Camel Lake. We've been wet for a long time. The west side of Memery
Loop is dry and has bridges over the last two swampy areas. Camel Lake at
last. A tough 13 miles. Set camp, rest and talk to our neighbors. There's a
camp host here. I spent an hour or so with one neighbor by a fire near his
trailer. We've decided to go to Blountstown tomorrow morning to help in
healing feet of one of my hiking partners whose heel has begun to crack and
peel badly. Need a couple of days to heal.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, April 17, 2000.

----

Friday March 24, 2000

Off to Blountstown and R. and R. Good food, clean cloths, shower and
restock. Repair some gear, dry shoes and boots and eat-eat-eat.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, April 17, 2000.

----

Saturday March 25, 2000

Ditto in Blountstown.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, April 17, 2000.