[ft-l] Joan "Igloo" Hobson - Section 18 - 3/6 to 3/8

Florida Trail Journal - Section 18
Suwannee River

End: Withlacoochee River Bridge, SR 141

Total Mileage: 39.3 Miles

Conditions: Wooded trails on bluffs overlooking scenic Suwannee River. Deep
cuts and ravines due to feeder creeks and sloughs to and from the river. The
Suwannee is subject to rapid rises and falls of water level and hikers
should be advised that during periods of heavy rainfall (as far North as
Georgia) detours may be unavoidable.

----

Monday March 6, 2000

Back on the trail. I'm eating lunch in a pine plantation near Jerry Branch.
I can still hear I-75 traffic. Got going after breakfast at 7AM. Little hard
to "get going" after a 4 day lay-off. Weather cool and sky bright. The
Weather-Man promises 80 degrees today. Enter Suwannee River State Park and
on to the trail on the rivers edge. A hawk has landed above my head and is
chirping cheerfully. Smells! Smells! Smells! Hikes are sometimes about
smells. Water: the rain an its way, dew in the AM, mist off the lakes and
rivers. There are wildflowers. I've seen my first Azaleas (sp). The Jasmine
have been following me almost from the first and still blankets my path now
and then. The pine trees in the wind or after the rain. The pine needles in
the sunshine have a strong distinct odor and not least, the tall grasses
unusually smell like hay. I reached the spot I thought I would camp tonight
and it's only 2 PM. I've decided to press on. I had trouble getting up the
steep ravine with the cable. It's warm in the low 80's and the path is
almost all clear. There have been horses on the trail and hoof prints have
chewed up some of the soft sand. I reached RT 129 and Spirit of the Suwannee
about 5:30PM. I've rented a trailer and bought food for dinner and
breakfast. Quiet evening.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Tuesday, April 4, 2000.

----

Tuesday March 7, 2000

Up at 5:30 coffee and breakfast. Temp still in the upper 40's. Thought I
locked my stick in the Information Office, but checked the little store and
found it up against a post. Thank You, Lord! I'm walking slower, only about
14 miles to go so I'm not hurrying. I decided to stop after two hours. I'm
beginning to see Easter Lilies along the path. Easy walking. Find the houses
I'm passing a pleasant change from just woods. Some have very unique
architecture. Other places there is a gazebo, covered picnic tables, a
pop-up camper, lots of tables, fire rings and chairs here and there. I've
got to face another log bridge with a cable had hold. The ground is less
undulating than yesterday and the ravines aren't as steep except for a
couple short ones. There are more fences and are places where lots of trees
are being cut down to the north of the trail. Hum-m-m. Reached the House in
the Bluff - no water - no one in attendance. Small rough patches of bamboo
and some blazes blocked by blow-downs. On to Motcheel Creek and the log
bridge. The approach is blocked and I went the wrong way to get around. The
next 5 (?) miles are challenging. Large trees down, blazes less often, path
not as well used all lead to a slower afternoon. I finally got to Holten
Creek around 3 PM. The easter lillies, blue and purple violets are
everywhere on the side of Holten Creek. This is a shorter walk than I
remember and with a few minor mishaps (going the wrong way) I'm at Adams
Country Farm Store. Good memories of this place. Don't have the rental any
more but good food and hospitality. After 2. Stuff myself and buy a few
supplies. I'm off to Gibson Park where I'm sitting and writing.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Tuesday, April 4, 2000.

----

Wednesday March 8, 2000

Pitched my tent under a picnic table shelter and everything is dry this AM.
Have some road walks (sand) this AM and I'm off at 7:45 AM. The Alapaha
River is a bunch of stagnate pools, not connected. The drought. On the sand
roads. More shade this time as the pine trees are now 25 foot tall. Round
the 2 bends and on to a forest road to the river. Wider path, newer blazes,
less blow downs. Almost no ravines and I'm moving quickly. Into the east
boundary of the State Forest. Had lunch at the boat ramp. Amazed at how few
animals I've seen. Lots of abandoned gopher holes and I think I saw a
tortoise scurry across the road yesterday, but didn't get close enough to
check. Animal tracks everywhere. It's not long before I reach the start of
the Ellaville Trail. Several folks I know here left me messages, cheery! Saw
a note written to Otter asking if he had reached here. There has been a burn
thru here but blazing and the foot path are intact. I took the blue blazed
trail to the St. Park. Settled in by 3 PM. Met some nice folks from Indiana
and Massachusetts who fed me dinner. Nice change, good fire, good company. I
was loaned a couple of corn bags which had been microwaved to primo heat in
my beg. Um-m-m.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Tuesday, April 4, 2000.