[ft-l] Joan "Igloo" Hobson - Section 17 - 2/28 to 3/3

Beginning: Olustee Battlefield, US 90

End: Stephen Foster Cultural Center, White Springs

Total Mileage: 35.0 Miles

Conditions: Well blazed trail runs through Osceola National Forest. Pine
flatwoods and cypress swamps. Short stretches on county roads. Note: The
general direction of this section is North and West.

----

Monday February 28, 2000

Still woke up at 5:15 AM. Coffee and toast in the lobby. Everything dried
last night. Pack up, pay the bill and wait for a ride back to the trail.
Section leader showed and took us to the trailhead. This will be a short day
and we'll both be glad we're at the shelter. This is the prettiest walk thru
here, better than I've seen before. Very dry, but at least water in a couple
slews in at the shelter. I'm going to try and sleep in the platform. I think
we're both having a little residual from yesterday but food and hot cocoa
both taste very good. I've fixed my "Bed" with a thicker support under my
ribcage. Then placed my mattress over the "hump". This drops my hip lower
and some of my body weight is supported by my middle. Bed at 7:30 PM. Very
early for me.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, March 27, 2000.

----

Tuesday February 29, 2000

Slept better than I thought I would. Up at 5:45 AM and re-start fire. Foggy
this AM. Breakfast and off by 8 AM. Walked pretty trail with lots of pines
and palmettos. Easy walking, good blazes. Not walking super fast, but
steady. I continue to be amazed at how little wildlife we've seen. A deer
here and there and an occasional carcass. The forest is dry, but several of
the slews still have water and at least two were actually flowing. All the
bridges are intact. Some of the dead animals were a gopher tortoise, a baby
hawk, 2 ostrigazes(sp), a deer or two and a vulture. We arrived at Milton's
Country Store around 3PM thirsty. No more cooking now to White Springs. I
had a tortilla and partner had a big cheeseburger; drinks and ice cream. I
had two more bottles of tea and juice and said goodnight to the store keep.
I'm in my tent at 8:30 writing and the traffic is noisy.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, March 27, 2000.

----

Tuesday March 1, 2000

Awake by 5:15 AM. Earlier than usual. "Chores" and exercising this AM. Tent
nearly dry. Finished up and my partner. Off to the store to wash and eat
breakfast; eggs, toast, sausage, grits and coffee. Very large can't eat it
all. My partner has been hiking with a sore ankle since the large rainstorm
and has decided to pack-it-in. 12-13 more miles doesn't seem reasonable with
Suwannee's ups and downs. We say goodbye and I'm off by 7:30. This is mostly
road walking so I rest little and tick off about 8 miles by 11 AM. Saw
another carcass. This time a large hunting dog. Deer tracks abound on the
sand roads, but no sightings. Having lunch a little early at a horse farm
with a water supply. Off again with about 6 miles to go. Up and down the
Suwannee ravines. Easy day to walk; not too hot. I'm not stopping this
afternoon and I've arrived at the Suwannee Valley at 2:15. On to White
Springs and a Motel Room. I've gotten a message that my next partner is not
coming and I'm trying to confirm a ride down to the conference. I've washed
my cloths and eaten and now it's time to settle into bed at 9PM.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, March 27, 2000.

----

Thursday March 3, 2000

Got up after a good nights sleep feeling like I need more rest. Several
phone calls and I'm getting off here for a couple days before the
conference. Overcast and looks like rain, another reason. I think the Lord
is trying to tell me something. I'm sitting quietly in my room writing until
I get picked up. Off to Live Oak. Will be here all day and then off to the
FTA Conference on Friday. After attending the conference and several
meetings, I will return to the trail on Monday.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, March 27, 2000.