[ft-l] Joan "Igloo" Hobson - Section 12 - 2/14 to 2/16

Florida Trail Journal - Section 12
Ocala National Forest - South

Beginning: Clearwater Lake Camping Area, Ocala N.F.

End: Juniper Springs Recreation Area, Ocala N.F.

Total Mileage: 27.6 Miles

Conditions: Florida scrub and high pine forest, some palmetto thicket. Sandy
soils. Dotted with lakes and sinkholes and remnants of ancient lakes, some
now "prairie". Heavy wildlife populations, popular with hunters, fishermen
and ATVs.

----

Monday February 14, 2000

Valentines Day. Up to a warm light breeze. Hot coffee, small fire. Clouds
moving in and out. Light pink sky. Out to Paisley for a B16 breakfast and
lots of coffee. One of my hiking partners has decided to get his truck.
Seems mosquitoes have been brutal. They are sleeping under a light tarp
(i.e. Jardine style). Have been experimenting with making their own gear and
the ends of the tarp are open to the breeze and bugs. He will bring back his
truck and a mosquito netting for the balance of the trip. Mosquitoes are
leaving me alone. We spotted a barned owl up in a tree this AM. Pretty bird.
Yesterday we scared up about 3 dozen sand hill cranes in Royal Trails.
Several hawks have flown by. Lots of animal scat last few days, no animals.
Weather threatening today. Using the tarp which my partners have to cover a
picnic table in Clearwater Lake Campground. Miracle! There are hot showers
here now. Finished about 490 miles being in Central Florida!

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, February 28, 2000.

----

2-14 Continued (Ocala N.F. - Clearwater Lake Campground)

Sitting under tarp in drizzle - waiting on partner who's gone to look for
his pack. It fell out of the back of his pick-up truck. If anyone finds a
backpack (light brown) with FT logo, please call the FTA office. Decided we
should go do laundry @ 2:30PM. Started off and rain started again. Got to
Italian Restaurant and decided to rest and eat. Have leftovers. On to the
P.O. to mail. "Bummed" a ride to the laundry. We're soaked and rain
continues. Finished laundry and the sky is clearing. Thank you Lord! Back to
pick up "left overs" and a couple for supper. Partner is back. Did not find
his pack. He'll try again tomorrow. Fire in hazy sky and slept in camper.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, February 28, 2000.

----

Tuesday February 15, 2000

Easy this AM. No tent to take down. Hazy and damp, but promises to improve -
walking fast today. ATV's tracks present on nearly all the trail for about 8
miles from Clearwater. Erosion and loss of ground cover. Harder to walk and
destroys the "feel" of the trail. We're half way to Alexander by 10:15 AM. A
couple of the boardwalks are starting to twist and are very slippery. Came
to a prescribed burn area which has a very eerie feeling. "Skeletons" of
palmettos, dead trees, burned pine trees and blackened earth - Must have
been a very recent and very intense fire. On to our destination. Very easy
walk to Alexander Springs. Got a campsite. We're here at 1:45PM, lots of
time to relax. Got a note from the Ranger asking that I call Channel 6 News.
They want to do a story tomorrow. It's getting cool as the day wears on. I
goofed and forgot one dinner, so my partners are sharing. A first for me.
Don't know how I miscalculated. Good to have friends. Another fire and
another bed. Cold night.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, February 28, 2000.

----

Wednesday February 16, 2000

Not up so early as News Crew is coming at 8:30AM. Breakfast and coffee and
off to gate. Channel 6 News has arrived. Taping an Interview and I'm off at
9:30AM. Easy walk to Buck for swim, eat, rest. On thru Farles and up to
North end of the Prairie. Passed lots of Rainbow Folks along the trail.
Heard drums all night. Had couple from Wisconsin stay with us. Big camp
fire. Bed about 9:30PM.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, February 28, 2000.