[ft-l] Joan "Igloo" Hobson - Section 11 - 2/11 to 2/13

Florida Trail Journal - Section 11
Cassia/Royal Trails

Section 11 South:

Beginning: US HWY 17-92 near General Hutchinson Parkway

End: Town of Cassia, SR 44

Total Mileage: 20.1 Miles

Conditions: Busy highway and some forest. Populated Area. Note: Travel north
and west throughout this section.

Section 11 North:

Beginning: Town of Cassia, SR 44

End: Clearwater Lake, Ocala National Forest

Total Mileage: 14.5 Miles

Conditions: Some rural roadwalk, farmland, and Florida scrub.

----

Friday February 11, 2000

Good nights sleep in a bed. Good breakfast off at 7:30AM. Warmer this AM.
Wonders of wonders! There's a sidewalk up Rhinehart Rd. and west on 46A all
the way to the N/S R.R. Bed. R.R. Bed now for 3.5 miles. Saw more housing
encroaching on the R.R. Bed. Deer tracks here. Easy walk up 46A to Lower
Wekiva River State Preserve. EMT's in training in the Preserve. Lunch and on
to Seminole Forest. Resting and catching up on "things". 2PM a couple will
join me here and last partners bid "Adieu". I've had time to rest. Off at
2:30PM to Sulfur Springs Campsite about 6 miles. Moving steadily and we're
in about 5PM. This forest is always a pretty walk. A picnic table! Tents up,
fire going and cooking on the grill, water in sulfur spring - crystal clear.
There are numerous pickup trucks passing by. One almost got stuck in the
soft sand. We stayed up until 9PM. Colder than predicted.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, February 28, 2000.

----

Saturday February 12, 2000

No journal entry.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, February 28, 2000.

----

Sunday February 13, 2000

Up and on the trail by 7:30AM. Have seen lots of "scat" and tracks, but no
animals. Scared up hawks and sand hill cranes. This trail is very well
groomed. The only decision we have to make is to either stop outside of
Paisley a couple miles or walk in to Clearwater Lake campground. We decided
to camp and walk into Paisley for breakfast tomorrow. It's the warmest night
yet. Lots of stars, half moon, nice fire until 9PM.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Monday, February 28, 2000.