[ft-l] Joan "Igloo" Hobson - Section 5 - 2/3 to 2/4

Florida Trail Journal - Section 6
Prairie Lakes - Three Lakes

Beginning: SR 60 at Road 9

End: US 441

Total Mileage: 30.0 Miles

Conditions: Palmetto scrub thickets. Trail may be waterlogged. Hammocks of
old growth palm, citrus and oak. Some dense forest around old levees
skirting lakes. Permits to camp are required.

----

Thursday February 3, 2000

Up at 5:30AM to pack things. Bought supplies at the Oasis Marina. Had
breakfast and started off again in threatening weather. Wearing rain gear
and pack cover. Nasty walk on RT60 and up the fence in Three Lakes. It had
been turned over for a fire break. Very tiring. The blazing is good, but
only a narrow foot path. A couple of place with water which took some
ingenuity to keep dry feet. Scared up a deer again today. We think we saw an
immature eagle in a tree. We've seen carolina jasmine, peligea (sp), , white
violets, sun dew, black-eyed susan, small daisy, a small yellow flower,
blue-eyed grass, a white "astar", purple violets and yellow star flowers.
Finally got to Fodderstack Slough and found a large oak tree which was dry
underneath. Setup tents and built a small fire for drying out gear.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Friday, February 11, 2000.

----

Friday February 4, 2000

Up today to cloudless sky - walking in a much better area. Blazes and
maintenance. Got to Dry Pond for lunch. Another picnic table, latrine but NO
WATER. Walking easily. Signed register and started Loop on the east side.
Saw an eagle overhead. Had to walk thru "hog walker", muddy feet. Up to the
FL Turnpike and over a ditch. Had to remove shoes. Needs a bridge. It's been
wet the three times I've been here.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Friday, February 11, 2000.