[ft-l] Joan "Igloo" Hobson 1/19 - 1/24, Section 2

Hi there, I've done some more transcribing of Joan "Igloo" Hobson's trail
journal.  I've been having a hard time determining where Joan is when she
writes a journal log, but the good news it that I'm doing fairly well making
out her hand-writing.

Joan "Igloo" Hobson's Trail Journal Continued...
http://www.iag.net/~fbt/Journals/Hobson/
This is mostly FT Section 2...
http://www.iag.net/~fbt/Journals/Hobson/2.html

Happy hiking,
Jeff "Prairie Dog" Walters

----

Unofficial Route Connecting Sections 1 and 3

Beginning: I-75 (Alligator Alley) at Exit 14, East of Section 1.

End: City of Clewiston Environs

Total Mileage: Approx. 50-60 Miles

Conditions: As of November 1998, the southern portion of this section has
been re-routed and no longer starts from Exit 14 of Alligator Alley (I-75).
The new portion may be blazed. There may be no blazes on the remainder, but
route is fairly clear. The northern portion involves miles of dike walking.
Relentless, treeless trail used by hikers, pickup trucks, and bikes. Can be
extremely hot or cold and windy. It will be necessary to carry food through
this area. No supplies are available. Water sources are canals and must be
treated before using. No open fires are allowed.

----

Wednesday January 19, 2000

Up at sunrise. Tent fly soaked. Had coffee and waked my partner. This is a
day about which we knew nothing and have no idea how long we must walk.
About a mile up, the trail turns east onto a fine woods road. Easy walking,
easy easy walking with a few blazes. A detailed description of "trail"
marking? water holes, old tank, cabin, culverts, etc and mileages at each.
Little mileage markers are attached to the trees so you know how far you've
come. Clean dry easy (again) walking. Making good time. Saw a deer. Break at
the campground. Several Ecosystems. No water in the trail. Kudos to the H.
Hooters and the section leader! Had lunch and got out to Noble Road about
2PM. Walked to the Reservation Boundary. Soon came to a prescribed burn
area, still burning. All of the sudden the pain has returned to my right
leg. As the time has reached 4:45 and we're not even on Boundary Road, I
decided to take a ride in a friendly pickup truck. Thank You Lord! I've been
here before and decided I might not reach our destination until dark. I may
be determined, but I also know when to quit. I got to Billy Swamp Safari
which turned out to be 18 miles from where we started this morning. I rented
a chickee cabin and went to clean up. My partner decided to walk on and
"hoofed it", she came in about 6:30! Speedy! I was worried when I realized
she had to walk 5 miles. A very huge dinner. Settles a sew things and off to
bed at 9:30.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Thursday, February 10, 2000.

----

Thursday January 20, 2000

Arose at 7AM to an overcast sky and after a brief discussion, decided to
stay here another day, finish drying gear, and rest my leg. We've got at
least 14 miles tomorrow to get by the reservation. The day has warmed,
clouds pretty white and we have time to explore and eat. Decided to take a
swamp buggy ride in the afternoon which was interesting and informative.
Some history of the Seminoles and lots animal species here - Spending
Money!!! Evening is approaching and we'll eat and enjoy the evening. There's
a continuous fire going in the campground. The eclipse was tonight which we
missed. I felt tired and went to bed at 7:30PM. Bad News! I was awake at
4:30AM.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Thursday, February 10, 2000.

----

Friday January 21, 2000

It's been one week since Loop Road. Returned us to road walking. However,
there we meet friendly folk who stopped to chat. They asked if we wanted a
ride. The day was cool. We stopped at a visitor center, the Big Cypress Art
and Craft and Snack Store. Passed the rodeo grounds and finally arrived at
our turn to the canal. The Art and Craft Store is much more foods than
crafts. We at muffins and got a drink. Got to make camp around 3:30PM (I'm a
little tired today) and make sure we knew which canal was L4. I'm going to
try a small fire in my cooking can tonight. My leg has been fine. My partner
has blisters. The tents went up well this time. 6 miles to the Miami Canal
tomorrow then North 25 miles to John Stretch. Saw gators, hawks, cows,
horses, snakes (dead) road kill and deer. Best animal day yet. During the
night some animal growled and peered down on us. Probably a bobcat. A patrol
car came by.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Thursday, February 10, 2000.

----

Saturday January 22, 2000

Up cold but cloudless. The moon hasn't set yet. We're off at 8AM for the
Miami Canal. Relentless dike walking. Several pick-up trucks with fishermen
and hunters. Must be bird season. Alligators jump back to the water as we
pass. None on the Dike Road. Reach Miami Canal about 11AM. People fishing
and some folks tented. Boats here and there traveling up the road. The sun
is hot but at our backs. Several folks stop to ask if we want a ride. Pass
some groups obviously camping for the weekend. Finally stop about 4:30PM.
Pretty tired. We found a small flat space to the side of the canal. It's
hard to get water but I figured out a way to attach my bottle holder to my
stick and push the holder under the water to fill the container. Don't even
have to remove my pack. My partner would like to get going earlier. I'm
awake at 4:30AM anyway. So we're off at 7AM. We hope to make John Stretch by
the end of the day.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Thursday, February 10, 2000.

----

Sunday January 23, 2000

Not as much traffic except the Lord knows what's best for me. I staked my
tent in somewhat of a low spot and a thunderstorm arrived at about 3:30AM.
There's a couple of small holes in my tent bottom which I recently
discovered - Leaking! I scampered for the laundry building for shelter and
dried out things. Thank You Lord.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Thursday, February 10, 2000.

----

Monday January 24, 2000

Walked up town to find a room and eat breakfast. Found a Motel and brought
back my "stuff". I had some errands to do and got in for the day around
noon. Ate one of my dinners at night as I had 3 left over. Relax and "fluff"
and dry gear. Nod off at 10PM. Had no luck calling my hiking partners as I
only got answering machines.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Thursday, February 10, 2000.