[ft-l] Ocala National Forest Trip Report - Final Chapter

I awakened late on this Sunday, which would turn out to be the last of our
trip through the Ocala National Forest.  My three partners were just about
packed up for their day's hiking to begin.  Soon they were gone, apparently
deciding that the end was in reach and this wouldn't be a small mileage day.
I took my time packing up, enjoying a hearty breakfast, and paid a visit to
Store 88 one last time for a Coke and to fill my water bottles.  At 10 am I
started out on what would be a mostly solo day in the woods.

A couple of miles north of Store 88 is Grassy Pond Campground.  On the way, I
hatched a plan.  It was likely they would take their first break there.  If
they were still there when I arrived, I would leave them a message scratched
in the sand letting them know I had a jump on them.  I finally decided on an
arrow pointing back to Store 88 with the caption BEER and underneath it
another arrow pointing to the end of the trail I was heading with the caption
BEAR (my trail name being Solar Bear).  Figuring that their break would soon
be over, and knowing how fast a walker Dark Star is, I kept going to Lake
Delancey at a good pace, taking no breaks.  Occasionally, I would put arrows
in the sand, making sure to let them know I was ahead.  My only aim was to be
first to Lake Delancey, figuring all would need to stop for water.  I would
claim victory in my silly little game and we would all hike the remaining 7
miles together.  I spent 80 minutes there, enjoying my little siesta, but
surprised that they hadn't shown up.

When I packed up and returned to the trail, I saw three sets of footprints
leading north!  They hadn't stopped, so now the fox was chasing the hounds.
Since I took such a long break, I knew they would be far ahead and I would
have to motor.  Fortunately, I was refreshed from my break, so I set out with
a purpose, probably exceeding a 3 miles an hour pace.  It took me all of 5
miles to reel in the first hound.  I found Not To Worry taking a break
alongside a jeep trail.  I was glad to see him.  The chase was over.  I had
missed my buddies, and was feeling rather sheepish for the silly game I had
played.  I made the mistake of taking a break there.  It turned out to be
heavily tick infested.  I picked off over 20 ticks over the next two days.
I'm hoping Not To Worry is careful in his tick inspections as well.

Shortly thereafter the trail emerges at the Rodman Reservoir, a very nice
sight to behold.  NTW and I took pictures with each others cameras, then we
headed down the trail and found Prairie Dog and Dark Star waiting for us at
the Dam.

We took a break, during which time I took off to take more pictures.  When I
returned to my pack, they had begun the last segment of the hike to the
Rodman Campground, paying me back for my little prank by taking my Lekis with
them.  So I walked the last mile feeling naked without my walking sticks, but
thankful to have three wonderful hiking buddies to share these experiences
with.  I hope I can hike with them all again.  It was a great pleasure.  I
missed the Ruck (an AT event in PA) this weekend, but being out there hiking
is a pretty darn good excuse!  :)

Happy trails,

Solar Bear

"The true profession of a man is to find his way to himself."  Still looking,
but I'm not finding any blazes.  :)