[ft-l] Joan "Igloo" Hobson - 1/13 to 1/18 - First Journal Entries

When I got back from the very fun O.N.F. hiking trip a couple of days ago, I
found an envelope sent from Joan "Igloo" Hobson!  Inside was about the first
20 or so days of her thru-hike journal!  I'm working hard at transcribing
her journal onto the Internet.

If you would like to view what I have transcribed so far, go to:
http://www.iag.net/~fbt/Journals/Hobson/
and click on section 1.

This is part of the Florida Backpacker's Trailplace at:
http://www.iag.net/~fbt/

I'll attach what I have transcribed so far, for those of you who only have
access to email.   Most of the names have been changed or deleted to protect
people's privacy.  I'll keep sending her journal entries to this list as I
get more transcribed.

----

Thursday January 13, 2000

Bruce and I drove South to Loop Road where we were to meet Partner #2 (the
names have been changed by request). On the way we picked up Partner #1.
We're all planning to hike North to Clewiston. We got to Loop Road and
Partner #2 and husband soon arrived. We had a pleasant evening Friday.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Wednesday, February 2, 2000.

----

Thursday January 14, 2000

The TRAILHEAD! We arrived to find the water up to the road. Today will be
7.9 miles and it looks like a lot of it will be in water. The water level
ranged from boot tops to just below the knees. We trudged along over an old
Rip-Rop Road and into a somewhat less wet area in a pine hammock. I was
feeling good. Partner #2 was behind me about 100 yards and Partner #1 behind
her. We took rest breaks where we could find a log on which to place our
backpacks and sat on stools out of the water. We were heading for the dry
campsite for lunch. I had hoped to get there by 11:30 AM, but we arrived at
12 noon. 3.3 miles in 4 hours. No matter, we only had 6.6 miles left and
lots of daylight. I had originally thought we could do this trail in 8.5
hours, but that goal was looking slim. We walked through dwarf cypress and
under the water made the trek slow. We finally reached the tram where I
thought the footing would be better. It was over grown and some areas had
water. There were blow-downs and cuts through which water flowed. So much
for our hopes for rest from water and mud. No problem. It was 4 PM and we
only had 2.5 miles to go. We'd be out by dark. 6:30 - not to be. Partner #1
was getting increasingly tired and walked more slowly than before. Each of
us had taken at least one fall and had wet cloths. The sun waned and we were
walking in the dark. Walking slowly, falling and darkness slowed us
considerably. We finally got out by 11 PM and Partner #1 was very cold. We
sent her off to get rehydrated and warmed and Partner #2 and I went to bed.
Fitful night.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Wednesday, February 2, 2000.

----

Thursday January 15, 2000

Up at 6 AM with little sleep. Partner #2 had decided to leave me here and
come back at I-75 in four days. She will check on Partner #1 and give her
gear. I have wet cloths to put on, muddy boots and mud in general. Other
items got muddy when I feel the last time. I'm a little tired and my leg is
sore. We finally got off by 8 AM to walk the rest of Big Cypress. The
beginning is up and down - off the trail and into ditches. Two men are
heading through here and there is one other man by himself. Over the first
1/2 miles the trail becomes drier and more pleasant walking in the woods.
There are several Swamp-Buggy roads here which have to be crossed. The trail
follows some of them. A decision was made to stop at 7-mile camp for the
night. I was expected to go to the 10-mile camp. I'm glad we stopped here. A
work crew came in a little after us and we had a fun and pleasant evening.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Wednesday, February 2, 2000.

----

Thursday January 16, 2000

Put on wet sox and boots and started a fire. I'm up at 5:30 AM. Everyone is
still asleep. 6:30 AM - After coffee, I call the others - Breakfast. Pack up
and off again. A short trip in the woods and then swamp again. These cypress
swamps are not as deep. The water is warmer and most of the footing is
better. We crossed some pine hammocks between the swamps and I was able to
replenish my water frequently. My leg is giving me some trouble, but the
rest feels ok. We crossed the end of a section of sawgrass. There are areas
where we have to search for the trail and sometimes get off. We're carrying
blazing tape as three more thru-hikers are due in after us. We made camp
about 5 PM, ate dinner and sat by the fire for a while. Off to bed. A
strenuous day.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Wednesday, February 2, 2000.

----

Thursday January 17, 2000

Got up (woke up) early. The stars are all out. We're at the edge of a
clearing and a large amount of sky is visible. It's 5:30 AM. I woke my
fellow hikers at 6:30 AM and we packed up and left camp about 8:30 AM. We
are promised an "easy" day. We're searching for blazes, taping trees,
walking in dwarf cypress swamps and an occasional pine hammock. It seems
cooler walking. I do fine in the early day, but after lunch I go into "low
gear". By 3 PM I'm again awake. We did arrive in camp at 3 PM and I dried
EVERYTHING! I'm hoping my sox and shoes will get better. They've been wet
for 4 days now. It's getting onto 5 PM and I have to cook a hardy dinner.
This is a reasonably comfortable site in the pines. We built another fire
and all are in bed by 8:30 PM.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Wednesday, February 2, 2000.

----

Thursday January 18, 2000

One last day in the swamp. Another 2 miles to start in cypress, mud and
water. Rest stop when possible. One of the guys is staying with me. We break
about every hour and a half. It promises to be a long 8 mile day. We soon
hit a road I call River Road. The water is up to my knees. My leg is
bothering me today. I have to drag it some. This is another 3-4 miles. We
enter a Hammock for lunch near an old hunt camp with a pitcher pump. Nice
Rest! Then back into muddy buggy tracks and then River Road. There isn't
much relief from the water. We finally got out at 5:45 PM only 15 min past
the planned time. My resupply was waiting since noon. This is a "change in a
hurry time" and to get by Re-stock. We saw bromeliads, snakes - a coiled
moccasin who wouldn't move, and tracks of many small animals. We had to
leave the rest area in the dark to camp a short distance up the trail.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Wednesday, February 2, 2000.