[CDT-L] South Pass to Rawlins, etc.

Ginny, Our route was partially different than the new recommended one, even
though we took the route that Ray Hanson recommended and mapped out for us
*at the time*. His teams of volunteers were still out checking water sources
and he was conservatively recommending more dirt road walking than now, by
far.  I really respected the job Ray was trying to do for us, and thought he
was most helpful.

I strongly recommend taking 7 1/2 min Topos for this section, for locating
springs on the fly when from where you're standing nothing is readily
apparent!

So...   Going N to S, as you indicated.

Map 10 of the new Decision Record:
	At Atlantic City (4th partial square from upper right corner,
"City"), good meals (a bit pricey) and rooms (A-frames, not too pricey)
available at the Atlantic City Mercantile. Nice Folks and a trail register
(I think).

Map 9
	You will greatly appreciate the bridge over The Sweetwater on 2317.
Looked mighty tough to have to ford. You will not want to be getting your
water from The Sweetwater...brown.

	Where the prop. trail crosses Harris Slough is a fine grassy
campsite, just 120 yards N of the road there, with good water. Saw a baby
antelope hidden in the sagebrush 10' from us, as well as a cow moose 200 yds
away!

	Upper Morman Spring. I wanted to get water there and found only a
wide shallow muddy spot, with  1-2" muddy water off to the left of the road
there. Later I was told by Ray that if I had gone 200-300 yds NNW towards an
opening between two small rises I would have found some water. He did
indicate he had been told that. I didn't get the impression he'd eyeballed
it himself.

	Weasel Spring. Great water. On map, right at the *black* word
"Weasel", as the 2-track swings right (SE) stop and look due East 100-150
yards toward the cleft the tiny swampy watercourse there flows through
(Weasel Draw). Head over there and you will find a cold pool spring coming
out of the rocks on the right side of the cleft. Nice!

Map 8
	Coyote Gulch Spring (7127' on topo and extreme left edge of Map 8)
has nice water and a few grassy sites, but you really need to pounce on your
topo. You can't see the spring off to your left downhill in the ravine w/o
walking over to discover this delightful oasis. The water is above ground
only 200 yards or so, so you really need to nail it.

	The lower Coyote Gulch Spring was not as nice, I thought, but I did
get some water there, on left of 2-track by black letter "Gulch" 3 1/2 m.
east of spring mentioned above.

Map 6
	A & M reservoir is #22, upper center of map. A small lake!

Map 5
	Bull Springs has water all right, but every wild horse in WY walks
through it. I doubt if they've "developed" it yet, so be prepared for some
mucky wading to get to the center of the spring.

	FWIW, We diagonaledbasically due SE from Bull Springs to that major
bend in Mineral X (for Exploration) Road just to avoid 7-8 m. of
roadwalking. Only negative for us was that it was after a rain and the clay
was 1 - 1 1/2 " thick on our soles. Otherwise, lovely scenery, esp.
approaching Separation Rim, if the light is right - one of Shell's favorite
colored ridges!

Map 4
	As Ray indicates in the cover remarks, the pines behind (WSW) of
Ninemile Hill on the L-shaped 2-track off of the Rawlins Hghwy roadwalk is a
nice spot to camp, after getting your water 2 miles before at the spring.

Map 3
	Below Rawlins, This may not be of interest to you. We took Ray's
advice (at the time) and roadwalked straight down 71, staying at Teton
Reservoir, with a nice latrine, tables and rather windy sites.

Map 1
	Finally... If you improvise in this area, be aware we walked by two
ponds not on the maps. 71 turns into 401 going south. Ray took us up
Middlewood Hill, then left on 3422 "Hydrology Rd" and on down to Twin
Groves. En route, we passed these two ponds, seen below us to the east. The
first is on BLM land,  I think, and the 2nd may be on private (but remote)
land. On Map 1, look for the number 3422 in the upper middle of the map.
From the middle of that number measure exactly 3/4 " SW and you have your
1st pond. Now, one mile exactly south of that is your 2nd pond.

Hope some of this helps you.

-Bob