Re: [CDT-L] CDT in '99?

SDWoot@aol.com wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm just wondering who's out there and who's planning to be on the CDT this
> summer.
>
> I'm picking up the trail in Basin, MT, and hiking south for 2-4 months. I'm
> expecting to be on the trail in early June. I started this hike in 1996 at the
> Canadian border but  had to abort that trip because of a stress fracture. It's
> taken until now to find the time to get back. I'm hoping for better results
> this time.
>
> By the way. Does anyone know what kind of snow conditions I can expect along
> the CDT in central Montana in early-mid June? I understand the snow's been
> well above average in the mountains this year.
>
> Dean Wooton

Hi Dean - we'll be out there - Jim and I plan to start at Anaconda
around June 1, hiking north to Canada, then we'll go south from Anaconda
around July 5.  We'll probably spend all summer chasing you.  Latest
snow map I saw (Wednesday I think) showed about 125-135% of normal
snowfall in Montana and northern Wyoming, about 95-105% of normal in
Colorado. But who knows what the weather will do between now and then? I
don't have a lot of faith in long term forecasts.  I understand though
that June is Montana's rainy month - so be prepared for lots of mud.
Good luck.  Hope we see you out there.

Ginny