Re: [CDT-L] List discussion

dykstra@pacbell.net wrote:

> The zip stove sounds really interesting, but I wonder what the Forest Service
> policy is on such stoves in areas where no fires are allowed.  Several times when
> we've been on the CDT in southern Colorado no fires were allowed.

In Glacier this summer a ranger got extremely upset when he saw smoke
coming from a campsite that was not supposed to have fires.  We calmed
him down by telling him that it was just a zip stove, but he was not
happy. I think that during times of serious drought, a zip could be a
real hazard - or at least perceived as such.

> Water certainly can be a problem on the CDT, along with altitude sickness.  (The two seem to be related.)

What sections did you have the worst trouble with water?  Was it during
dry years, or every year?

Ginny