[CDT-L] Boots

Hi Jim,

Ah the boot question...  Everybody's different.  What's best is what works
for you.  But here's my 2 cents worth.  I hiked the last 1400 miles of the
PCT in '97 in Vasque Clarion GoreTex boots.  They were wonderful.  I
switched from Raichle Montagnas (BIG leather beasts!) for the weight
savings.  I didn't give them (the Clarions) ANY break-in time and had no
problems doing 25-30 miles per day.  My only complaint is the GoreTex is
useless.  The boots stay dry only about an hour longer than a non GoreTex
boot.  Don't pay extra for the tag.

Other's swear by running shoes.  I plan to give that a try "next time."  If
you have no ankle problems, and train to strengthen your ankles, this may
work for you too.   I've noticed, however, that big people carrying big
packs have more problems with light footwear than most.  If you and your
pack weigh more than 200 lbs, you should think twice before risking serious
ankle injury.

Brian