Re: [CDT-L] Introduction to the list

Robinson, Brian A wrote:

> Hi CDTers,
>
> I've been lurking on this list for a few days now, so testing out Milt's new
> list server is a good opportunity for me to introduce myself to the list.
> (Thanks Milt!)
>
> My name is Brian Robinson.  Hiking the CDT is still just a "someday" dream
> for me; but not too long ago, so was hiking the PCT, which I did in '97.   I
> learned a tremendous amount on that trip, which I gladly share with
> newcomers on the PCT list.  On this list, I suspect I'll be a little more
> quiet.
>
> In my few days on this list, I picked up a pointer to the CDTA web page,
> which is great.  For those who haven't found it yet, it's at
> http://cdtrail.org/  It mentions that there is a guidebook for the Colorado
> section, but the New Mexico, Wyoming, and Montana/Idaho editions are not out
> yet.  Anybody know when (if?) they will be published?  Are these the
> equivalent of the 2-Volume PCT guidebook?  IE Do they have strip maps of all
> the existing trails and "recommended routes" for the unfinished sections?
> What quivalent information is available today?  A BIG pile of USGS maps?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
> binson, Brian A wrote:
>
> Hi CDTers,
>
> I've been lurking on this list for a few days now, so testing out Milt's new
> list server is a good opportunity for me to introduce myself to the list.
> (Thanks Milt!)
>
> My name is Brian Robinson.  Hiking the CDT is still just a "someday" dream
> for me; but not too long ago, so was hiking the PCT, which I did in '97.   I
> learned a tremendous amount on that trip, which I gladly share with
> newcomers on the PCT list.  On this list, I suspect I'll be a little more
> quiet.
>
> In my few days on this list, I picked up a pointer to the CDTA web page,
> which is great.  For those who haven't found it yet, it's at
> http://cdtrail.org/  It mentions that there is a guidebook for the Colorado
> section, but the New Mexico, Wyoming, and Montana/Idaho editions are not out
> yet.  Anybody know when (if?) they will be published?  Are these the
> equivalent of the 2-Volume PCT guidebook?  IE Do they have strip maps of all
> the existing trails and "recommended routes" for the unfinished sections?
> What quivalent information is available today?  A BIG pile of USGS maps?
>
> Thanks,

Brian, there are guidebooks for the entire length of the trail written
by Jim Wolf.  He is the one that founded the Continental Divide Trail
Society back in the 1970's and has been working for 20 years to get a
trail built.  (CDTA jumped in only two years ago.) He has hiked the
Divide - and spends time every summer scouting the trail for updates to
his guidebooks.  The official trail in many places follows his original
routes.  Some of the books are pretty old, but Southern Colorado was
redone in 1997 as was the guidebook for Northern New Mexico.  (It also
contains a suggested route through Southern New Mexico, but is pretty
vague.) In all of his guidebooks, Jim gives recommended routes and the
various alternatives. Sometimes the official route is not the best route
for hikers - there are places that horses can't go, that hikers will.
He gives cross-country routes as well as "safe" routes.  Jim's biannual
newsletter, Dividends, is long distance hiker oriented, and gives
updates on the trail, info on the route selection process, (including
the fights to keep the trails for foot travel only and for more scenic
routes away from the roads), descriptions of routes followed by various
section and thruhikers, and info on who is out hiking the trail.  Jim
has a Web page on GORP.

There are small maps in the books, but you really have to buy your own.
If you need to change your route because of weather, etc, you need the
greater area. For a thruhiker, buying the entire set of USGS maps is
prohibitive - 400 maps at $4.00 each - that's a lot of money and a lot
of weight.  USGS no longer makes the 15' maps, so you have to use Forest
Service maps (usually not topographic), BLM or USGS 100' maps, and the
Trails Illustrated maps where they exist (most of Colorado, and the
National Parks) and the Earthwalk Press maps for the Wind River Range.
It adds up to a lot of maps. Many are old, and not very accurate.  Even
the 7.5' maps aren't all that accurate, and there are some major misses
on some of the Trails Illustrated maps.  Getting Jim Wolf's guidebooks
is a really good idea if you plan a thruhike.

As to the other guidebooks - the "Official" Colorado book is pretty good
(though with some errors), the Montana book is not.  It skims over huge
areas - covering 15 miles in three sentences, for example. One section
the weather was bad, so they skipped it. As someone pointed out already,
both the "official" books are heavy with their glossy paper and pretty
pictures. All the guidebooks except Jim Wolf's Northern Montana have the
disadvantage of being written north to south - if you are heading in the
opposite direction, you are out of luck. Reversing the descriptions is a
major chore.  I've tried to do it for our hike next year, but only
hiking it will show how successful I was.  (i.e if the descriptions
says, head for the gray knob to the northeast, what happens when you are
going the other way? What do you head for?)  It's fun, but figuring out
the route takes a lot of time, if you can spare it.

Ginny