[cdt-l] Drinking water from cattle troughs

I have yet to have to do this, but getting my hiking started again here in
NM I may have too. Being from Florida, I have always had access to halfway
decent water. I have the filters, and the Iodine tabs and have used them
even when the water came from a well. This weekend while checking a route
for a planned hike next month in the Gila Wilderness, I stopped at a cattle
tank, this one was just a deep hole in the ground. There were a few of the
big guys drinking. The water was muddy, and not very enticing.

So, is there any reason why not to use this water if you have all the right
equipment?
Bill Hendrickson, Deming NM.